Re: [Help-glpk] Parallel runs of glpk

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Parallel runs of glpk
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:44:28 +0300

> I must say that I do not really understand why
> GLPK is not "naturally" thread safe.

Thread safety has a sense mainly in interactive applications, which glpk
is not; as to using threads for parallel computations, this would be too
"elephantine".

> I though
> that basically you need to avoid global and
> static variables in order to get a thread-safe
> function but I must have missed something.

Avoiding static variables is sufficient to make the code re-entrant, but
not sufficient to make it thread-safe. The latter also needs some sort
of synchronization on accessing the same program objects (e.g. glp_prob)
simultaneously from different threads.