[Help-glpk] [Fwd: GPLK and consistency of global constraints]

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: GPLK and consistency of global constraints]
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 21:50:23 +0400

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Umar Waqas <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: GPLK and consistency of global constraints
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 17:03:35 +0100

Dear list members,

I would like to know about the techniques GPLK (or any other solver)
uses to ensure global consistency of all constraints while making a
choice. For example, for a MIP(mixed integer) program with binary
variables x_1...x_n a solver needs to decide whether a variable x_i will
be 0 or 1. How does a solver compute whether making a choice x_i = 0 is
not inconsistent/consistent with  the constraints or already made
decisions in the model? Of course a naive way is to add the constraint
to the model and check all the constraints. I have an impression that
there must be better ways and would like to know about them.

I am a newbie in mathematical optimization and any pointer to relevant
material and or hint is appreciated. Even a better term for Googling
works. Thanks a lot for your time.

Kind regards,

Umar