Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK for Java - problem - exception thrown for glp_find_

From: Jeffrey Kantor
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK for Java - problem - exception thrown for glp_find_col
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 07:59:25 -0400

Perhaps I'm missing something, buy why expose glp_create_index at all?

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden> wrote:

> please, update the documentation to clearly point out that an error is
> thrown in glp_find_col
> and glp_find row if not preceded by a call to glp_create_index.

Okay, I will add a paragraph to clarify the issue.

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to let these functions implicitly call
> glp_create_index, if the
> index is missing?

I don't think so. It would be a sort of obscure feature, when the
program does something that it shouldn't do (if the feature is
disabled), and the user doesn't know about that.

> The documentation leaves it unmentioned that the index is updated when
> a new column or row
> is added after calling glp_create_index.

On adding/removing named rows/columns the index is updated (if exists).

> Why is the index not always created when creating a new problem? The
> overhead of the index seems to be negligible.

This feature is optional, because in most cases the name index is not
needed. If necessary, the user may easily enable this feature by a call
to glp_create_index immediately after glp_create_prob.