Re: [Help-glpk] Faster Integer-Feasibility in Mixed-Integer

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Faster Integer-Feasibility in Mixed-Integer
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:53:46 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello all

To:           Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden>
From:         Noli Sicad <address@hidden>
Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 2012 12:21:07 +1100

> Have you seen this publication (below link)? It is
> using GPLK 4.28 as base code, if I may not mistaken.
>
> Faster Integer-Feasibility in Mixed-Integer Linear
> Programs by Branching to Force Change
> http://www.sce.carleton.ca/faculty/chinneck/docs/PryorChinneck.pdf
> 22 Oct 2010 ? Faster Integer-Feasibility in
> Mixed-Integer Linear Programs by Branching to Force
> Change. by Jennifer Pryor
> (address@hidden). John W. Chinneck
>
> What do you think about this algorithm?
>
> Can we integrate this in the GLPK as one of the options
> to speed up IP solution?
>
> What do others think about this algorithm?
>
> Probably, we can ask the authors if they like to
> contribute the code to GLPK/MathProg project?

For those with access to Elsevier ScienceDirect, here
is the reference for the published (not preprint) paper:

  Pryor, Jennifer and John W Chinneck .  2011.  Faster
    integer-feasibility in mixed-integer linear
    programs by branching to force change.  Computers
    and Operations Research.  v38 no8 p1143-1152.
    doi:10.1016/j.cor.2010.10.025

  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305054810002546

I read the preprint.  Looks interesting and should be a
useful addition to GLPK.  My work uses integer
variables in the various forms that Pryor and Chinneck
(2011) describe.  I would welcome a significant speed
up (say 150% or more).  In passing, the authors
indicate GLPK 4.28 was "modified extensively".
The as-published citation has now been added to:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Literature#Third-party_GLPK_papers_and_reports

Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]