Re: [Help-glpk] Solution not found on larger problem

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Solution not found on larger problem
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:21:44 +0400

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 13:50 +0200, Chris Bielow wrote:
> Dear glpk team,
>
> I want to use glpk to solve some ILP instances, and for the "average"
> problem the following works quite well:
>
> glpsol.exe  --cuts --max   p2.mps -o p2.solution
>
> This works for Problems p2 and p3.
> Unfortunately for p1, the solver seems not be able to compute a solution
> in reasonable time (I aborted it after 24h).
>
> Using CoinMP, I have the solution in <0.5 seconds with some cuts and
> heuristics enabled.
> I tried to play with some flags of glpsol.exe, but no luck.
>
> Do you have any idea of what I can try to get the solution for p1?
>
> Thx in advance.
>
> cheers
> Chris

Sorry, p1.mps is hard for glpk because of its size and combinatorial
structure.

I used glpsol 4.47 with options --max --pcost and --clique to solve
p1.mps and it found an integer feasible solution with mipgap = 30% for
about 15 minutes. However, solving to optimality may take too long time.

Andrew Makhorin