[Help-glpk] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Terminating GLPK early]]

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Terminating GLPK early]]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:14:01 +0400

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Jonathan Currie <address@hidden>
To: Xypron <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Terminating GLPK early]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:46:52 +1200

Hi Xypron,

Thank you very much for your reply, and suggestions! Your error hook
works perfectly, thank you! I will have a look at implementing the iocp
callback tonight.

Regards,

Jonathan

>>> Xypron <address@hidden> 25/08/2011 4:25 a.m. >>>
Hello Jonathan,

there are two solutions:

1) Implement the terminal hook function. This hook function is called
at
regular intervals by the solver. In the hook function call
glp_error("%s\n", "Aborting due to user request");

Implement the error_hook function to gracefully catch the produced
error.

The following code snippets are taken from GLPK for Java:

     jmp_buf glp_java_env;

     glp_java_callback_env[glp_java_callback_level] = &glp_java_env;
     if (setjmp(glp_java_env)) {
       glp_java_throw(jenv, "function glp_simplex failed");
     } else {
       glp_error_hook(glp_java_error_hook, &glp_java_env);
       result = (int)glp_simplex(arg1,(glp_smcp const *)arg2);;
     }
     glp_java_callback_env[glp_java_callback_level] = NULL;
     glp_error_hook(NULL, NULL);

/**
  * This hook function will be processed if an error occured
  * calling the glpk library
  * @param in pointer to long jump environment
  */
void glp_java_error_hook(void *in) {
     glp_java_error_occured = 1;
     /* free GLPK memory */
     glp_free_env();
     /* safely return */
     longjmp(*((jmp_buf*)in), 1);
}

2) If you are solving a MIP problem, and want to get the best solution
yet found, implement a callback routine the address of which you pass
with the iocp structure. In the callback routine call
glp_ios_terminate(tree);

Both has been implemented successfully in example/java/GmplSwing.java
of
GLPK for Java.

You can download GLPK for Java from
http://glpk-java.sourceforge.net

It is included in GLPK for Windows available at
http://winglpk.sourceforge.net

Best regards

Xypron