Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: glpk launcing]

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: glpk launcing]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:04:00 +1200 (NZST)

Hello Sylvian

To:          address@hidden, sylvian Massom <address@hidden>
From:        Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden>
Date:        Wed, 13 Jul 2011 02:59:50 +0400

>> I have installed properly glpk on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>> but I don't know how to launch it.
>> I have tried glpsol but this the message that I obained:
>> GLPSOL: GLPK LP/MIP Solver 4.38
>> No input problem file specified; try /usr/bin/glpsol --help
>> Please what do I do to launch It ?
>
> Please see the glpk reference manual (Appendix D "Stand-Alone LP/MIP
> Solver"). The reference manual is included in every glpk distribution
> and can be found in subdirectory doc/glpk.pdf.
>
> GLPK distribution can be ftp'ed from <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glpk/> or
> from some mirror ftp sites; see <http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html>.
>
> See also:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Linear_Programming_Kit
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-glpk1/
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-glpk2/
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-glpk3/

GLPSOL is a command-line application.  This type
of interface is described on wikipedia:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface

so the concept of "launching" does not apply.

There are some IDEs (integrated development
environments) that provide provide a more
comfortable setting for those who like graphical
applications.  Please see:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/GLPK_IDEs

These IDEs sit above GLPSOL and offer convenience
but no additional technical functionality.

Finally version 4.38 dates from May 2009.  You
would be well advised to upgrade to 4.45 for anything
serious.

HTH, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]