Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Scaling: Which? and Suppressing output]

From: GLENN RHOADS
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Scaling: Which? and Suppressing output]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:29:55 -0500

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:59:23 +0100
 "glpk xypron" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Glenn,
>
> your e-mail did not reach the GLPK help list directly, because
> you did not register. See
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-glpk

I did register but I think I know the problem.  Rutgers University has
a central mail server that handles all email on all Rutgers systems.
 When I email something, it first goes through this server which
changes the outgoing address from my real address "@cs.rutgers.edu" to
the mail server's address "@dragon.rutgers.edu"  I had the same problem
when subscribing to another email list.

> > A: min|aij| =  4.000e-01  max|aij| =  2.800e+00  ratio =  7.000e+00
> > Problem data seem to be well scaled
> The message is written in file glpk-4.45/src/glpscl.c
> You could replace the following lines:
>
>       if (min_aij >= 0.10 && max_aij <= 10.0)
>       {  xprintf("Problem data seem to be well scaled\n");
>          /* skip scaling, if required */
>          if (flags & GLP_SF_SKIP) goto done;
>       }
>
> Best regards
>
> Xypron

Thanks.  That solves the excessive output problem.
Any suggestions on which scaling method might be preferred for my
application?  I think what is happening is that some of the
coefficients are for all practical purposes effectively 0.  These
"effective zeroes" are being represented in the matrix as some very
small number, e.g. 7.2134e-32, whereas the other entries are of a
common everyday size like 8.2, or 0.34.  Which scaling method would be
preferred for handling this situation?

-- Glenn