re: [Help-glpk] lecture notes on OR/MS with glpk examples

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: re: [Help-glpk] lecture notes on OR/MS with glpk examples
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:48:16 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello all

> To:          address@hidden
> Subject:     [Help-glpk] lecture notes on OR/MS with glpk examples
> From:        Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden>
> Date:        Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:07:30 +0300
>
> I encountered the lecture notes on OR/MS by Prof. Tommi
> Sottinen provided with glpk examples (1.3 Mb, 200
> pages):
>
>   http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~tsottine/lecture_notes/or.pdf
>
> I think this material might be interesting for glpk
> users, so I'm posting this information to the list.
>
> Andrew Makhorin

I emailed to Prof Tommi Sottinen to see if I could link
to Sottinen (2009) from the GLPK wikibook.  He replied
that I can "link, or copy, or anything" and that he is
"actually happy if the notes can be useful to someone".
Great (and thanks).

Tommi also pointed to a newer version, Sottinen (2010),
which is based on Octave not GLPSOL.  Octave provides
an non-proprietary numerical environment, somewhat like
Matlab.  Both documents are detailed below:

2010 course notes using the 'glpk' function from Octave:

  Sottinen, Tommi.  2010.  Operations research with GNU
    Octave.  ORMS1020 course notes, Department of
    Mathematics and Statistics, University of Vaasa,
    Finland.  October 21.

    http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~tsottine/or_with_octave/or_with_octave.pdf

  These notes contain:

   - an teaching implementation of the simplex method in Octave
   - examples based on the Octave function 'glpk'
   - a lightweight 'glpk' wrapper 'stu_lp_solver' ("simple to use LP solver")
   - examples based on 'stu_lp_solver'

2009 course notes using GLPK MathProg utility:

  Sottinen, Tommi.  2009.  Operations research with GNU
    Linear Programming Kit.  ORMS1020 course notes,
    Department of Mathematics and Statistics,
    University of Vaasa, Finland.  August 27.

    http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~tsottine/lecture_notes/or.pdf

Both sets of notes look excellent.  Select the one most
appropriate to your needs: GLPK GLPSOL or Octave 'glpk'.

with best wishes
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]