Re: [Help-glpk] mip formulations and reformulations

From: xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] mip formulations and reformulations
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:30:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Andrew,

> It is difficult to say how this or that heuristic used to choose
> branching variable affects the solution process. I only would like to
> draw an attention that reformulation of mip may essentially reduce the
> solution time (though this is well known).

My understanding is, to solve this problem fast:
1) Symmetries should be removed.
2) The usage of trucks should be modeled as binaries.
3) Branching should be on trucks first.
4) Redundant constraints may help.

I have added symmetry removal and result output to the following
file:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p26070245/trick3.mod trick3.mod

I guess the problem is interesting enough to be added to the GLPK
examples.

Best regards

Xypron