Re: [Help-glpk] More conditional variables fun

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] More conditional variables fun
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:42:35 +0400

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Yaron Kretchmer wrote:

> Michael,
> I'm sorry, but I didn't understand your explanation below- This is due to my
> limited LP/MIP understanding- sigh..

You might want to look up convex hull and facet.

> But, looking at the examples on
> http://www.aimms.com/aimms/download/manuals/AIMMS3OM_IntegerProgrammingTricks.pdfand
> doing some math led me to the following formulation:

> Is this close to what you were suggesting?

No.  You have binary auxillary variables and big-Ms.

Note that big-Ms are bad news.
Doing logic with linear constraints on
binary variables isn't very good news.

Define continuous auxillary variable c_e = c - e .
The points in the feasible set are in
the convex hull of seven extreme points: