Re: [Help-glpk] Almost infeasible solution, not sure what to do next

From: Sam Seaver
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Almost infeasible solution, not sure what to do next
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:35:22 +0400

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I did know that I was getting the
right value for the objective function, because someone I know ran the
same matrices using glpkmex in Matlab, and got the same value.
However, they were able to get the status to be Optimal, and not
infeasible, which I couldn't, and so this led me to try and find the
problem on my computer.

Clearly its numerical, and in this instance, as you say, I can say its
found the optimal basic solution.  However, I need to run this many
times (approx 200 x 4000 times) to test a variety of conditions (each
instance is a small variation in the constraint of a row), and I need
to be able to write code that will be able to tell me that it is
optimal every time the problem is almost infeasible.

It seems to me, that any time it declares that it is infeasible, I
could iterate through all of the columns, and find the one column for
which the bounds are the 'most' violated, and output the column and
its details.  In this way, I could, in a semi-automated manner, find
the problems that are either optimal, or almost infeasible.

Does this seem reasonable to you?  Since I've little experience with
using LP, I don't know of an easier way to automatically determine
'almost'-infeasibility.

Thanks
Sam

--