Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK re-endrant

From: xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK re-endrant
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:01:31 -0700 (PDT)

Andrew Makhorin wrote:

> No, currently glpk is not reentrant. It uses standard C functions
> strerror and strtok, which are non-reentrant. In principle, it would
> be possible to replace them with strerror_r and strtok_r as well as
> add the attribute '__thread' to the 'tls' pointer when such features
> are supported by a particular platform (I mean configure script).
> However, I see no gain, because even if glpk were reentrant, the
> application program could not use the same instance of glpk program
> objects (like glp_prob) from different threads. On the other hand,
> if it calls glpk routines only from one thread, reenterability is not
> needed.

Hello Andrew,

I see two fields of applications for threading in GLPK.

ILOG describes that many MIPs can be solved >= 1.7 times
faster using multiple threads and shared memory.
http://www.ilog.com/optimization/the-right-hand-side/1/TA_Parallel_CPLEX_Dong.html
http://www.ilog.com/optimization/the-right-hand-side/1/TA_Parallel_CPLEX_Dong.html

In case of column generation (like in the CLSP) multiple
subproblems could be solved at the same time on separate
cores.

My understanding is that a major group of functions that
has a problem with threading is the memory allocation
(xfree, ...).
See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2007-08/msg00040.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2007-08/msg00040.html