[Help-glpk] glpk, java and more

From: Pierre Lemaire
Subject: [Help-glpk] glpk, java and more
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:11:21 +0100

Hello!

I am an happy user of GLPK for several years, and I would like to contribute to it. However, I do not want to do something which is already being done, or which is irrelevant. I list below my main ideas, which are either propositions for contribution, or suggestion for further development. I'd be happy to have some feedback on them.
  My main concerns are:
  - is there any similar on-going efforts? (to avoid redundant work)
  - once job is done, how to integrate it to GLPK?

On this second matter, bindings and such should be kept separated from the core project; however, their existence should be advertised somehow, I believe. The glpk page on gnu.org just gathers the essentials about the core C programs (which is alright) and, as far as I know, there is no place that gathers all glpk-related pieces of information (like a wiki, or so). Is there any plan to create such official site?

There exist java bindings (http://bjoern.dapnet.de/glpk/) but they are out-of-date and, as far as I know, not developed any more. This is my major concern (I need this for teaching), therefore I plan to update and maintain such bindings if there is no similar effort.

Is there any plan for an emacs-mode for GNU MathProg and GLPK? Similarly, is there any plan for a style-sheet for a2ps?

Now, about the core C programs...

What about internationalizing the code? Messages are all English. What about using GNU gettext to provide translation facility?

Last, on a technical issue: is there any plan to implement the Feasibility Pump heuristic that quickly finds feasible solutions to MIP? Whenever a MIP takes to long to be solved, it is very valuable.

My future messages will be shorter, I promise.
Best regards,

Pierre L.