Re: [Help-glpk] New with GLPK

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] New with GLPK
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:59:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Andrew Makhorin wrote:

> > With the lpx_load_matrix for example, and other rutines from the
> > API, so I wont have to read the data from a file, I pass in the code,
> > for example a structure.
>
> If you can compute all lp components, you can pass the data directly to
> the solver using glpk api routines. However, if you just need to solve
> lp or mip instance, you may write it in MPS or CPLEX LP format and then
> run the glpk stand-alone solver to obtain a solution; this is much less
> time-consuming than programming in C/C++ with glpk api.

Not necessarily.
The complexity of computing the LP data might dwarf that of invoking the API.
The data fed through the API could be more accurate.
Also, the API is more reliably documented than MPS.
It's easier to be sure that one has given GLPK the problem one intended.
Probably there are switches that one can flip through the ABI,
but not through glpsol.

--
Michael   address@hidden
"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)