Re: [Help-glpk] Working with larger numbers

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Working with larger numbers
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:53:21 +0400

> Max flow and min cost are the basic problems. In the next step the
> approach should is used for multi-commodity scenarios. Therefore, we
> started with a LP solver. Do you propose an other direction to solve an
> mcf?

There exist many specialized network optimization algorithms, and many
of them are freely available on the internet.

For example, recently to solve min cost flow problem on a network with
about 500 nodes and 100,000 arcs I used RELAX4 by Dimitri Bertsekas. The
standard primal simplex implemented in glpk takes about 10-15 secs on my
machine while RELAX4 is about 100-200 times faster. You may look at an
example version of that model (see examples/tas.mod in the glpk
distribution).