Re: [Help-glpk] gmpl manual

From: Guney Petek
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] gmpl manual
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:23:03 -0400

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden> wrote:

> I read that "... the mathprog translator is greedy to the memory
> ..." and actually I am having problem getting the model generated for
> a large instance. glpsol runs out of memory on a machine with 1.5GB of
> memory before half of the constraints are generated.

GLPK implementation of the MathProg language is not very efficient,
so huge models cannot be processed by the translator.

> One reason I am
> learning GMPL is to be able to use GLPK. Would you recommend me an
> other language in that case?

Which language do you mean? Programming language or modeling one?

I was asking about modeling languages for LP,IP,MIP. Let me rephrase my question: In order to use the highest number of GPL or open source solvers out there which modeling language would you people recommend learning?

I thought GMPL/AMPL was the best choice however, what is the path, then, to follow in order to translate huge models to mps?

I use Java  Programming language to create my mod/dat files. Would it be best if I learn the MPS format itself and author my instances directly into MPS? How doable is this for a human being? Could you please give me some more insight as to what the alternatives might be?

Thank you,
Guney