[Help-glpk] Knapsack problem using GLPK

From: Lingzi Li
Subject: [Help-glpk] Knapsack problem using GLPK
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:12:48 -0400

I am using GLPKMEX to develop my project now. It is a branch-and-price
problem, and I use GLPK to solve Lagrangian relaxation's master and sub
problems. The subproblem is like the following:

min  y - sum(ui*xi)
s.t. sum(wi*xi) <= c*y
     xi + xj <= 1 (for some (i,j))
     xi, y are binary

(variables are xi and y)

When there are 80 variables, it takes 9 minutes to run out a solution. But if
there are 100 variables, it will take more than 3 hours. And I do belive that
most of the time is in subproblem mentioned above. Do you think it is normal
for 100 variables to take that long time? Or do I need to do some special
settings for large scale problem? But acturally I don't think 100 variables
is "large" scale. Thank you very much in advance for your help!

This mail sent through www.mywaterloo.ca