Re: [help-GIFT] Compile failure with gcc-4.1.2

From: Wulf C. Krueger
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Compile failure with gcc-4.1.2
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:26:05 +0200

Hello Wolfgang!

On Sunday, May 20, 2007 02:54:36 PM Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> > I do not seem to see this error in gcc-4.1.2.
> Check that. I have a 4.1.1, repeat 4.1.1 on my machine. With this, GIFT
> compiles nicely.

Yes, I can now confirm that. 4.1.1 still accepted the syntax used.

> So, 4.1.1 instead of 4.1.2 seems to work. Does this help you?

Unfortunately, no. We (Gentoo) need to support 4.1.2, too, as this is the
latest Gentoo-supported version. Furthermore, all newer gcc (>= 4.1.2)
versions will barf about this issue, too.

From what I found in the list archives, this was already a problem on Mac
OS X and reported in 2003.

IMHO, the best course of action would be to fix the underlying issue so
that gift will be compilable on recent systems.

Of course, I'll keep on trying to fix this myself (and submit a patch) but
I don't have much hope. :)

Best regards, Wulf