Re: [help-GIFT] Compile failure with gcc-4.1.2

From: Wulf C. Krueger
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Compile failure with gcc-4.1.2
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:59:57 +0200

Hello Gabor!

On Sunday, May 20, 2007 12:29:49 PM Gabor ROCZEI wrote:

> This is a short summary (I wrote it for the knowarcs people), use it:

Did you even read my original mail?

This is the error you sent patches for that are long in CVS (which I
explicitly mentioned testing with):

> ../../libMRML/include/CAttributeList.h:82: error: extra qualification
> 'CAttributeList::' on member 'toXML'

A trivial extra qualification. I've patched that away from the tarballed
versions long before posting here.

This is the error *I* get:

CAFPerl.cc:8: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'CAcPerl'
../../libGIFTAcPerl/include/CAcPerl.h:72: note:   because the following
virtual functions are pure within 'CAcPerl':
../../libMRML/include/CAccessor.h:109: note:    virtual void
CAccessor::getRandomIDs(std::list<int, std::allocator<int> >&, size_t)
const
../../libMRML/include/CAccessor.h:119: note:    virtual void
CAccessor::getRandomAccessorElements(std::list<CAccessorElement,
std::allocator<CAccessorElement> >&, size_t) const

Here gcc complains about purely virtual member functions from which it
can't generate an object. This is *completely* different from the error
you're referring to.

I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful or impatient but I've been battling with
gift for several days (and nights) now, I've done extensive searching on
Google, the gift mailinglists (back to 2003, btw.), I've waded through
tons of spam on the bug-gift mailinglist hoping to find something
meaningful there, I've bugged people with better C++ skills than myself,
I've searched Debian, ArchLinux, OpenPKG and lots of other (meta-)
distributions to find how they deal with this problem (they don't have a
patch for this either), I've consulted lots of bugtrackers to see how
people dealt with other applications with the same problem.
I've checked *all* the patchsets posted by Julia "risc" Longtin to this
very list. I've experimented with the code of 0.1.14 and 0.1.15b myself
and patched away lots of other issues (yes, I've compared my patches with
latest CVS and they're all in there or I would have submitted them).
Heck, I've even checked the PRs for gcc 4.1.2 to see what changed in gcc
to work around it.

Only then did I post here because I didn't want to bother anyone with
stuff I could easily fix myself.

So maybe you can understand now why I'm not too happy about your
answer. :-)

No offence intended and best regards, Wulf