Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:09:04 -0500

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 05:34:35PM +0200, Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> > I can pass you a copy of what i'm using, but its no more than diffing the
> > output of gift-extract-features in tree XXX with the in-system copy, and
> > the same for gift-generate-index.
> >
> > If you want to really bang your head on something, got an AMD64 box lying
> > around?
>
> I have a amd64 gentoo box lying around at home.
>
> > I'm trying to get gift to compile using debian unstable on AMD64, and
> > having "issues".
> >
> > <shameless_plug> if you have the hardware, but dont want to spend the time
> > to do an install, may i reccomend the FAI CD? FAI is a fully automatic
> > installer for debian</shameless_plug>
>
> The trouble is rather that I do not have any partition that I could sacrify
> without problem.
>
> > The first one is that aclocal is missing the --force option in autoconf
> > 1.7. Thats an easy fix, remove the --force option from aclocal --force -I .
> > in bootstrap-cvs.sh
>
> This one I should be able to reproduce at my place.
>
> > The second one is that int() does a type demotion in a warning message in
> > libMRML/cc/CAttributeList.cc:97. remove the int(...) (not the contents of
> > the int()), and that one goes away.
>
> OK. I will try to look at that.
>
> > The THIRD one is that we appear to be linking against .a files,
> > specifically
> >
> > *** Warning: Linking the shared library libGIFTAcInvertedFile.la against
> > the *** static library ../../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/.libs/libGIFTAcURL2FTS.a
> > is not portable! ...
> > then we get..
> > /usr/bin/ld:
> > ../../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/.libs/libGIFTAcURL2FTS.a(CAcURL2FTS.o):
> > relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making
> > a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> > ../../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/.libs/libGIFTAcURL2FTS.a: could not read symbols:
> > Bad value
> >
> > so, while we may have been 64bit clean at one point, we are no longer.
> > thoughts on this?
>
> I get the impression that 64!=64. There are some distro dependent parameters
> that one can choose in int/long handling. David and I had that problem a
> while back. I even remember having accused him of sending me untested code as
> tested (and I am still sorry for that, David). It turned out that there were
> subtle differences between Gentoo and Ubuntu at that point.

I get the same impression as well, but isnt this wrapped in autoconf and the
such so that we can write test cases, and check which "64" this is?
As for the specific error, it seems to be a libtool thing to me. :)

> > and on a different note, is there any chance we can turn on warnings in the
> > gift build system? specifically, when compiling C code, i prefer -Wall
> > --pedantic.
>
> Do it. Surely will do us some good. If you need help with that I can do it,
> too.
>
> I just checked in some 5,000 images into my machine at home (-->all my digi
> fotos are now at one place). I guess I will try to run the current state of
> afffairs against that and I will report asap.

I checked in 39,100+ images the other day, and mine blew up, on a 32 bit
machine.
Disturbing, as my actual application requires checking in 500,000 images.

I just got in a new bank of servers, dedicated to testing and developing GIFT.
Basically, a quad-core opteron running 32bit debian, and a dual-core opteron
running 64bit debian.
If you and david are short on hardware, I can have these servers moved to a
more permanent location,
and provide you both with shell accounts/etc.

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>