Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:21:03 -0500

I can pass you a copy of what i'm using, but its no more than diffing the
output of gift-extract-features in tree XXX with the in-system copy, and the
same for gift-generate-index.

If you want to really bang your head on something, got an AMD64 box lying
around?

I'm trying to get gift to compile using debian unstable on AMD64, and having
"issues".

<shameless_plug> if you have the hardware, but dont want to spend the time to
do an install, may i reccomend the FAI CD?
FAI is a fully automatic installer for debian</shameless_plug>

The first one is that aclocal is missing the --force option in autoconf 1.7.
Thats an easy fix, remove the --force option from aclocal --force -I . in
bootstrap-cvs.sh

The second one is that int() does a type demotion in a warning message in
libMRML/cc/CAttributeList.cc:97.
remove the int(...) (not the contents of the int()), and that one goes away.

The THIRD one is that we appear to be linking against .a files, specifically

*** Warning: Linking the shared library libGIFTAcInvertedFile.la against the
*** static library ../../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/.libs/libGIFTAcURL2FTS.a is not
portable!
then we get..
/usr/bin/ld: ../../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/.libs/libGIFTAcURL2FTS.a(CAcURL2FTS.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC
../../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/.libs/libGIFTAcURL2FTS.a: could not read symbols: Bad
value

so, while we may have been 64bit clean at one point, we are no longer. thoughts
on this?

and on a different note, is there any chance we can turn on warnings in the
gift build system?
specifically, when compiling C code, i prefer -Wall --pedantic.

Feel free to ignore me, my comments, etc, as usual. :)

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>