Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:48:06 +0100

Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> Hi Jonas, David,
>
> I agree mostly with the suggestion of David's.
>

>> Yes... If you refer to my "original" mail abot the --no-thumbnails
>> option, I wrote that I considered dropping the attribute, or setting
>> "the empty string" as its value, but that I decided on using the
>> image name instead, since I thought it would break less things.

[snip]

> I do not think all threads behave that way, but they *should* in fact, and if

Perhaps s/threads/clients/  ?
> need be we can do something like --fake-thumbnail-urls to make thumbnail urls
> point to the full images.
>
> My feeling is that GIFT is often used in environment, where the images are
> not
> served to a community, but rather used as a backend to some PHP where the
> MRML server itself is not reachable, or not intended to be reached. This
> seems to be the case for you, Jonas, and in this case I find it more proper
> to suppress the attribute altogether.
>
> IF you intend to run the GIFT as MRML server with a reachable and advertised
> MRML port, then I would find it useful to use a --fake-thumbnail-urls option
> as suggested above, because I am not sure who wrote when which app that
> relies on the thumbnail attribute.

Please find attached a version of gift-add-collection.pre-pl that
implements these ideas. There are now options:

--no-thumbnails: prevents thumbnails from being generated, and by
default causes the thumbnail-url-postfix to be suppressed
--fake-thumbnails: implies --no-thumbnails w.r.t. thumbnail generation,
but causes the same URL as in the url-postfix attribute to be used for
the thumbnail-url-postfix attribute.

Both have been set up so that they can be set in the
.gift-add-collection file with lines like:

fake-thumbnails="1"

I have tested these using my client, and they work as expected - there
seems not to be any problems on the server side.

I would be glad if someone using another client could test before I
commit it.

Cheers,

David

PS. Jonas, simply using '--fake-thumbnails' should do what you want.

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer. On sabbatical in 2006.
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia