[help-GIFT] Re: Client storing query state

From: David Squire
Subject: [help-GIFT] Re: Client storing query state
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:25:21 +0100

Kamil Wencel wrote:

> is it possible to use my already existent php session id's when
> initiating the query or do I have
> to use the session id's offered and link them to the users php session
> id. Both cases would
> eliminate the need to supply hidden post / get data but using the
> already existing php session
> id's would be much more elegant I think.
You might think so, since when you first connect to the GIFT server, you
pass an MRML message like:

     <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
     <!DOCTYPE mrml SYSTEM "file:/*************/share/mrml.dtd">
     <mrml session-id="12345">
     <open-session user-id="User"
session-name="--feedback-client-session--"/>
     <get-algorithms />
     <get-collections />
     </mrml>

The server, however, ignores the session-id passed in, and returns
another (valid) one to you. When you think about it, this makes sense,
as otherwise the server could not guarantee unique session-id's.

There is nothing to stop you using your php session id as the key for
your state data though - you can use anything you want, since it's local
to the server where the interface runs.

Regards,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Senior Lecturer. On sabbatical in 2006.
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia