Re: [help-GIFT] Adding and removing images to/from gift

From: Kamil Wencel
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Adding and removing images to/from gift
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:16:52 +0200

Wolfgang Müller schrieb:
Hi again.

For the details of gift-add-collection.pl I would have to go into the code and currently I can't.

- After getting a random set, I chose 3 images which i like, requery,
select 3 more images gift found I could like. Now there is nothing more
I like soi start "deselecting" the other 4 unwanted images, requeryand
get 4 new images. But when I requery again, gift brings back the 4
images i deselected before. After what I've seen this is not the gifts
fault as such, it's more of a workflow problem because gift obviously
doesn't know anymore what it server one request before. It would be nice
if gift itself could track in the session, which images are queried
wanted / unwanted and never show the unwanted in that session again. I
think it could improve accuracy.

Well, we discussed this a lot in /199./ and /200[01]/ and came up with the thought that we rather want to add features like that in the client than in the query processor. In fact, from a HCI point of view it seems to be a good idea for the client to make the IR client a gathering space.

Check out http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~jana/research/publications/ECIR2006.pdf
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~jana/research/publications.html

Clearly, things like that are far beyond the scope of what image retrieval the server should do (at least IMHO). Having some of this work to be done in the server and some in the client seems like double hassle to me. So you end up doing:

The way it is currently working I would have to store the users query
into a db, send the request to gift, store its answer and remerge
something else out of the request I sent and the answer gift gave.

Which seems not so bad, after all.
Well, it is a web application, so the "client" is not that smart which gives me grieve on the application server side of my webapp. I will feed on the docs anyway and see if I can come with something. thanks for the links Wolfgang.

- The second thing is matching algorithm. Currently I get the feeling
that my gift is fixed on color more than on shape / texture. sometimes I
get perfect results ( e.g. gift finding all appropriate matches I know
of ) but sometimes it doesn't even show an image it most definitely
should be supposed to. How can I tweak my system to try different
methods or make it more sensitive for shape / texture than color ?

I remember having written a document about configuring and hacking the gift, which is surely too short, but maybe a starting point. Have you tried the separate normalisation algorithm or which one did you use when running the GIFT?
I tried both Classical IDF and Separate normalisation but to be honest, the results did not differ in the least.