Re: [help-GIFT] Optimizing

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Optimizing
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:37:29 -0500

I don't find the branch idea to be a great one, because what appears to be
already happening is everyone is using their own branches, and the one in the
tree, which is the one that people new to the project will use, is being left
to rot. David's criticism of that optimization is valid, I'll be adding a
MAX_WIDTH and MAX_HEIGHT, so that both of us are satisfied. All of my
allocation changes are already in tree, and this one is the only one that we
both agree was a "badly implemented idea". David's right to call me on it.
thats why we put the "mail-patches" policy in place, right?

The reason i haven't jumped on your idea, is I didn't find it very unixy at
all, first read through. To me, interprocess communication UNIX-style is done
by chaining lots of pipes together. and what you're talking about sounded more
bi-directional than the normal UNIX softwares. XML and unixy don't quite go
hand-in-hand, but now that i re-read your mail, i agree that something along
the described lines would certainly be better than what we have.

I agree the feature extractor should be working in lists, but I've been
avoiding structural changes, so as to get something in the tree everyone can
agree on.
In an ideal world, the command line arguments, and the input streams for the
feature extractor, the re-sizer, and the thumb-nailer should be close to
identical.

If its desired, once I'm done putting in my optimizations to the feature
extractor, instead of increasing the feature extractor's resolution, I'll work
on a re-sizer and a thumb-nailer, and re-build the front-end to the feature
extractor along these lines.

Technically, its working against my own interests (all my images are way bigger
than 256x256), but it'll possibly be of more use to others, and I am new here,
so. ;)

that said, how goes the 64bit work? I've got an associate who'd love to play
with gift, but cannot, due to 64bit problems...

anyone have any comments on my 70-* and 80-* optimizations? 80 is the real
brain twister.

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>