[help-GIFT] Installing GIFT on Mac OS 10.4.7 - issues, and some fixes

From: David Squire
Subject: [help-GIFT] Installing GIFT on Mac OS 10.4.7 - issues, and some fixes
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:03:11 +0100

Issues:

- ./configure succeeded, but makes fails because expat.h can't be found. I have installed expat using DarwinPorts, so it is found in /opt/local/include/. I added this to DEFAULT_INCLUDES in Makefiles in libMRML/cc/, libGIFTAcURL2FTS/cc/, and libGIFTAcHierarchy/cc/, GIFTServer, . This fixed the problem. Should ./configure be checking for expat.h?

- Mac OS X does not have malloc.h. malloc() is defined in stdlib.h. I removed "#include <malloc.h>" from *.c in libSquirePPM/, and ensured that all had "include <stdlib.h". I seem to recall that when building on my AMD 64 machine under Ubuntu I had to ensure that malloc.h *was* included, so perhaps we need conditional includes here.

- Mac OS X does not have values.h. This causes a problem for libSquirePPM/ppm_normalize.c, which uses it for MAXFLOAT. Solution? Just remove the line, as it is defined in math.h.

- Sockets. And now we run into the first problem that I can't do a quick fix for:

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/opt/local/include -I../libMRML/include -I../libGIFTAcInvertedFile/include -I../libGIFTAcURL2FTS/include -I. -I. -g -O2 -DEF_PROTECT_BELOW=1 -DEF_PROTECT_FREE -DEF_PROTECT_ALIGNMENT=8 -DEF_FILL=42 -MT CDomainSocket.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/CDomainSocket.Tpo" -c -o CDomainSocket.o CDomainSocket.cc; \ then mv -f ".deps/CDomainSocket.Tpo" ".deps/CDomainSocket.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/CDomainSocket.Tpo"; exit 1; fi CDomainSocket.cc: In member function 'virtual bool CDomainSocket::acceptAndServe()': CDomainSocket.cc:98: error: aggregate 'ucred lCredentials' has incomplete type and cannot be defined
CDomainSocket.cc:102: error: 'SO_PEERCRED' was not declared in this scope
make[3]: *** [CDomainSocket.o] Error 1

It seems that BSD (on which Darwin is built) and Linux handle this stuff differently. See for example http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2002-12/msg00015.php

If someone has experience of getting this to work on BSD systems, leap in now :) Otherwise I will start digging and see what I can find out.

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia