Re: [help-GIFT] basic CBIR (php) library ?

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] basic CBIR (php) library ?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:48:12 +0200

Hi,

> I don't think that kind of projects would ever require advanced features
> as the ones gift has and it could basically be restricted to full
> picture and not areas of the pictures, when indexing or searching for
> matches..

My impression is that you need rather more than less, and that the indexing
itself is hard to do efficiently. As PHP is not among the fastest languages
under the sun, I doubt that a pure PHP solution could/would be a good idea.

However, as usually PHP folx build on MySQL, it might be an idea to build your
query processor on MySQLs full text search capabilites. This would be tricky
and fun, and I doubt that anyone has done this so far. You would be able to
use GIFT/Viper's ideas almost all the way. All you would need for this would
be a bit of image processing in PHP, some of which you doubtlessly delegate
to some PHP image magick type of library, anyway. If you are interested in a
more detailed idea on this, please do not hesitate to contact me for more
details.

> Thx for your help.
I hope it helps :-)

Dr. Wolfgang Müller