Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition

From: Philip Farrugia
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 08:10:12 +0200

Dear Ernesto,

Thank you very much for your help. I'll follow your instructions and get back to you if I have any problems. I'd like to thank alos the other GIFT mail members for their input.

Symbol recognition using CBIR would be a very interesting feature to tackle. As far as I know, it has not yet been explored...

Regards,

Philip

Ernesto Ferrari wrote:
Wolfgang Müller wrote:

I'm afraid that there is no user manual as such. There are instructions
on adding a collection in the GIFT tarball. You can get the GIFT, and
this information, from http://www.gnu.org/software/gift/gift.html

AFAIR there is a stub for a manual which is much older than the current
version of the GIFT. Configuring and hacking the GIFT.

Can one of the recent newbies tell us what information sources were the most
helpful?

Ernesto, do you have a timeslice for telling us?

Well, I found a very useful resource for getting started quickly with
the GIFT in the Debian Package file "README.Debian", which I report here
along with some notes of mine:

<readme.debian>
So in short you could do the following:

 * mkdir gift-data

 * cd gift-data

 * cp /usr/share/libmrml1/gift-config.mrml .
<ernesto>
This path is where Debian install gift-config.mrml, if you compile from
scratch it is under GIFTServer/gift-config/gift-config.mrml in the
source directory </ernesto>

 * export GIFT_HOME=`pwd`
<ernesto>
do you a favour and set the GIFT_HOME variable in your .bashrc </ernesto>

 * gift-add-collection.pl /path/to/your/huge/collection/of/images
<ernesto>
if you want to test your installation with the Client.php script issue
the following:

gift-add-collection.pl
--image-directory=/path/to/your/huge/collection/of/images
--url-prefix=http://hostname/images
--thumbnail-url-prefix=http://hostname/images_thumbnails
--collection-name=a_name_for_your_collection

Configure your webserver so that http://hostname/images points to
/path/to/your/huge/collection/of/images on the filesystem: if you don't
want to configure your webserver just make a link named "images" under
the web server's DocumentRoot directory.
</ernesto>

 * gift & # and hope it runs
 * gunzip < /usr/share/doc/gnuift/examples/Client.php.gz > \
     /path/to/a/webserver/accessible/directory/Client.php
<ernesto>
The Client.php which comes in Debian doesn't work (at least for me), so
here is the one which works (at least for me):
http://www.computer-visions.org/dl/Client.php.gz
</ernesto>

 * access the url with a browser and enter the host where gift is
   running
 * be happy
</readme.debian>

Philip, all of the above presume an already compiled/installed GIFT, if
this is not the case let us know and we'll guide you through this.

Cheers,
Ernesto

Ing. Philip J. Farrugia

Assistant Lecturer

Department of Manufacturing Engineering
University of Malta,   Msida  MSD 06,  MALTA.
[T]: (+356) 2340-2045   [F]: (+356) 21 343-577
[W]: http://www.eng.um.edu.mt/~pjfarr/