Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition

From: Ernesto Ferrari
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 18:43:40 +0200

Wolfgang Müller wrote:
>>I'm afraid that there is no user manual as such. There are instructions
>>on adding a collection in the GIFT tarball. You can get the GIFT, and
>>this information, from http://www.gnu.org/software/gift/gift.html
>

> AFAIR there is a stub for a manual which is much older than the current
> version of the GIFT. Configuring and hacking the GIFT.
>
> Can one of the recent newbies tell us what information sources were the most
> helpful?
>
> Ernesto, do you have a timeslice for telling us?

Well, I found a very useful resource for getting started quickly with
the GIFT in the Debian Package file "README.Debian", which I report here
along with some notes of mine:

<readme.debian>
So in short you could do the following:

 * mkdir gift-data

 * cd gift-data

 * cp /usr/share/libmrml1/gift-config.mrml .
<ernesto>
This path is where Debian install gift-config.mrml, if you compile from
scratch it is under GIFTServer/gift-config/gift-config.mrml in the
source directory </ernesto>

 * export GIFT_HOME=`pwd`
<ernesto>
do you a favour and set the GIFT_HOME variable in your .bashrc </ernesto>

 * gift-add-collection.pl /path/to/your/huge/collection/of/images
<ernesto>
if you want to test your installation with the Client.php script issue
the following:

gift-add-collection.pl
--image-directory=/path/to/your/huge/collection/of/images
--url-prefix=http://hostname/images
--thumbnail-url-prefix=http://hostname/images_thumbnails
--collection-name=a_name_for_your_collection

Configure your webserver so that http://hostname/images points to
/path/to/your/huge/collection/of/images on the filesystem: if you don't
want to configure your webserver just make a link named "images" under
the web server's DocumentRoot directory.
</ernesto>

 * gift & # and hope it runs
 * gunzip < /usr/share/doc/gnuift/examples/Client.php.gz > \
     /path/to/a/webserver/accessible/directory/Client.php
<ernesto>
The Client.php which comes in Debian doesn't work (at least for me), so
here is the one which works (at least for me):
http://www.computer-visions.org/dl/Client.php.gz
</ernesto>

 * access the url with a browser and enter the host where gift is
   running
 * be happy
</readme.debian>

Philip, all of the above presume an already compiled/installed GIFT, if
this is not the case let us know and we'll guide you through this.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
web:    http://www.cinelinux.net