Re: [help-GIFT] Ping!

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Ping!
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 18:42:04 +0200

> Yes. I agree that this seems a sensible approach. I would also be keen
> to see some MRML extensions to support some basic descriptions of the
> feature groups that go with a collection, most importantly the way
> similarity should be calculated for the feature group (e.g. histogram
> intersection, Euclidean distance, tf.idf, etc.)

OK.

> It would be good to think about this over the next few weeks/months. I
> think an extension in this direction would really improve the usability
> of the framework (cf. the "symbols discussion earlier today). There
> could be a default set of provided similarity calculators (based on what
> is already there), and perhaps a provision for users to provide others
> (possibly plugins again, but perhaps also by providing subclasses and
> editing a nice clear source file that delegates these things).

Well, I think it would be best instead of using feature groups and checks and
these awful if constructs to have each weighter just calculate one function
and have difficult flavours of weighters for each feature group. This would
be nicer, cleaner design and probably faster, as the cost would be just
incurred once.

> Just some thoughts.

It's appreciated. However, I see this issue quite orthogonal to the question
if we include gife or not.

I am going home, so don't expect any more answers today. Have a nice evening.

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS Medieninformatik
Universität Bamberg
Check out the SIG MM web site http://www.sigmm.org