Re: [help-GIFT] Ping!

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Ping!
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 17:59:18 +0200

Thanks for your quick answer.

> I take you point, but this is something that I am quite likely to have
> time to look at - on the scale of "some time this year". If we are to go
> down that path, we need to kick around some ideas on how we would like
> such a system to work.

I have thought about this. After my experience with c libraries as plugins, I
am a bit weary. Some recent problems we had are still related to plugins.
People have to versions of a lib floating around, and libtool picks the wrong
one.

I would suggest that the feature extractors are programs that read from stdin
a list of urls and output a list of file locations via stdout. After
indexing, these locations are fed to something that aggregates the indexing
data and adjusts the config.

This would be slightly hackish, but fast and flexible and it would be
low-impact on the code.

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS Medieninformatik
Universität Bamberg