Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition

From: Henning Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Using GIFT for symbol recognition
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 14:47:37 +0200

Hi,

indeed, I have experimented a little bit with using gift for trademark retrieval, which should be similar to handdrawn symbols. There is a lot of literature on it particularly from John Eakins.
From my work at the time not too much remains.

If you have a set of images you can try out gift and index a directory structure containing your images. The gabor filters should at least give you some reasonable results when the input images are more or less black on white.

There are also several projects on 3D features for retrieval.

Cheers, Henning

David Squire wrote:
Philip Farrugia wrote:
Dear All,

Kindly note that I've just subscribed with the GIFT mailing list. I'm involved in a Ph.D. research project aimed at automatically generating 3D virtual models directly from /paper/-absed sketches. I'm planning to use GIFT as means to recognise /different symbols/ that I'm using in the sketches.

Can you please tell me whether it is possible to recognise hand-drawn symbols using GIFT? If yes, how to create my own database of symbols in GIFT?
Hi Philip,

The GIFT does not have specific support for symbols, or indeed line
drawings of any kind. The default set of features used by the gift
(areas of colour and texture) are more likely better suited to
photographs of natural scenes.

That being said, IIRC, there has been an application of the GIFT to
trademark recognition (Henning might be able to give a pointer for
that). There has certainly been considerable research on the use of CBIR
for trademark retrieval.

I suspect that you should consider creating a feature set that is
specific to your image domain. It is possible that this could then be
used with the GIFT architecture for retrieval.

Still, I guess first you should try it and see. To create a "database of
symbols", all you need is a directory full of images.

Regards,

David

--
 Henning Müller (PhD)