Re: Feature Description File (was Re: [help-GIFT] alive?)

From: risc
Subject: Re: Feature Description File (was Re: [help-GIFT] alive?)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:30:46 -0500

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:16:15PM +0100, David Squire wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:25:29AM +0200,
> >address@hidden wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>
> >>2) Are you able to write "feature information files"?
> >>

> >if by that, you mean .fts files, sure. my .fts files are bitwise identical
> >to the ones presently output by gift-extract-features.
> >
> I think Wolfgang means what I would call the feature description file
> that maps feature IDs to feature groups. This is the file called
> "InvertedFileFeatureDescription.db" that ends up in the directory with
> the fts files.
>
> This is easily the dumbest part of my original implementation. It's
> completely flexible, but would be much simpler if it supported mapping
> *ranges* of feature IDs to feature groups.

InvertedFileFeatureDescription.db is created by gift-add-colllection.pl, not by
the extractor.

yes, i did evil things to that, as well. but i've diffed my gift home, and the
origional and mine
are bitwise identical.

> >>3) Given that Image Magick is already a prerequisite for successful GIFT
> >>installation, the current state of your code introduces a new dependency,
> >>right? Probably everyone has it anyway, but I still think it would be
> >>best to move to the use of ImageMagick as file reading library. If you've
> >>got the time, it would be worthwile adding that, and it would be very
> >>much in your own interest, as you would save the convert call that has to
> >>be issued for each image.
> >>
> >>David, Julia: sounds reasonable?
> >>

> >sounds great. i'm on it.
> >mind you, i dont like imagemagick, but given its already a dependancy. ;)
> >

> Well, in that you could always keep using the little ppm library that is
> already shipped with GIFT - it does all that you need :)

given that i'd like to be processing my .tiff files directly, no thanks. ;D

i'll look at what it'll take to write that support back in, just for
compatibilities sake.

i tried to use your old API, but i butchered it when it fit. ;P

> Regards,
>
> David

Later,

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>