Feature Description File (was Re: [help-GIFT] alive?)

From: David Squire
Subject: Feature Description File (was Re: [help-GIFT] alive?)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:16:15 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:25:29AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

[snip]

2) Are you able to write "feature information files"?

if by that, you mean .fts files, sure. my .fts files are bitwise identical to
the ones presently output by gift-extract-features.
I think Wolfgang means what I would call the feature description file that maps feature IDs to feature groups. This is the file called "InvertedFileFeatureDescription.db" that ends up in the directory with the fts files.

This is easily the dumbest part of my original implementation. It's completely flexible, but would be much simpler if it supported mapping *ranges* of feature IDs to feature groups.

3) Given that Image Magick is already a prerequisite for successful GIFT
installation, the current state of your code introduces a new dependency,
right? Probably everyone has it anyway, but I still think it would be best to
move to the use of ImageMagick as file reading library. If you've got the time,
it would be worthwile adding that, and it would be very much in your own
interest, as you would save the convert call that has to be issued for each
image.

David, Julia: sounds reasonable?

sounds great. i'm on it.
mind you, i dont like imagemagick, but given its already a dependancy. ;)

Well, in that you could always keep using the little ppm library that is already shipped with GIFT - it does all that you need :)

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia