Re: [help-GIFT] alive?

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] alive?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:05:06 -0500

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:55:35AM +0100, David Squire wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> >Julia,
> >
> >That's great. You're motivated, you're pushy :-) . Given that the output
> >is equal to the previous output, I guess the main part of your sources
> >should be in GIFT quite soon. Without having looked more at your source
> >than before, I can tell you the questions I see:
> >
> >1) I did not quite understand the thingy about the "aggregator"?
> >2) Are you able to write "feature information files"?
> >3) Given that Image Magick is already a prerequisite for successful GIFT
> >installation, the current state of your code introduces a new dependency,
> >right? Probably everyone has it anyway, but I still think it would be best
> >to move to the use of ImageMagick as file reading library. If you've got
> >the time, it would be worthwile adding that, and it would be very much in
> >your own interest, as you would save the convert call that has to be
> >issued for each image.
> >
> >David, Julia: sounds reasonable?
> >

> Yes, that does sound reasonable to me.
>
> There is a broader point too though. I would like to encourage the idea
> that the feature extraction part of the GIFT should be in some way
> pluggable. When adding a collection, the user should be able to specify
> which feature extraction system he/she wants to use, and there could be
> multiple ones shipped with the GIFT, or others could be available from
> third party sites.

sounds great to me. porting my code to imagemagick as we speak.

a pluggable system might be in order BEFORE we make a release, as my code
performs 2/9ths WORSE on a non-sse2 enabled machine.

> I guess that this would mean that (at least) an attribute would have to
> be added to the collection element in the gift-config.mrml file so that
> the system could be aware of whether features are comensurate for
> different collections.

personally, i'd love to see some documentation on the feature file format,
and a "clean reference implimentation". i've overhauled your code, and i
still cant make heads or tails out of some of it. comments would be nice. ;)

> I am fairly sure there was a discussion about this a few years ago,
> either on this list, or via email - I will have a look for it.
>
> This would make it easier for various GIFT users to share their
> specializations of the system (e.g. I have a version that uses
> annotations too, and I know that Henning has done stuff using a greater
> number of greys, more texture orientations, etc.)

i'd be interested in seeing some of this work as well, as my input images
are all greyscale.

> Regards,
>
> David

to you,