Re: [help-GIFT] alive?

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] alive?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:46:17 +0200

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 11:55, David Squire wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> Yes, that does sound reasonable to me.

Good.

> There is a broader point too though. I would like to encourage the idea
> that the feature extraction part of the GIFT should be in some way
> pluggable. When adding a collection, the user should be able to specify
> which feature extraction system he/she wants to use, and there could be
> multiple ones shipped with the GIFT, or others could be available from
> third party sites.

I agree with you, but I would say in the current situation first things first.

> I guess that this would mean that (at least) an attribute would have to
> be added to the collection element in the gift-config.mrml file so that
> the system could be aware of whether features are comensurate for
> different collections.

Yes, in my thesis I made a fairly general stab at that kind of thing,
including doing things like storing the proper feature extraction code in a
database, if I recall right. However, I put the code to rest in non-showable
state, as I made the mistake of using too many external libraries and too
many plugins etc.  . Development became very painful and time-consuming for
incertain benefits.

In the time I still believed in that above approach, I was against the simple
one you are suggesting, now I am OK with it.

> This would make it easier for various GIFT users to share their
> specializations of the system (e.g. I have a version that uses
> annotations too, and I know that Henning has done stuff using a greater
> number of greys, more texture orientations, etc.)

The greater number of greys is not a problem, as long as the greater number of
greys etc. is added to your code in a way that the feature information file
generated by the feature extractor is consistent with the features generated.

To come back to the discussion: I would say first things first. Let's get this
code into the tree with minimal changes. Minimal in the sense that the
already big installation hassle for people using the GIFT is not increased.

Then I get a release out.

Then, if then there is time, we can look at neater things (IMHO).

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS Medieninformatik
Universität Bamberg
Check out the SIG MM web site http://www.sigmm.org