Re: [help-GIFT] alive?

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] alive?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:55:35 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Julia,

That's great. You're motivated, you're pushy :-) . Given that the output is
equal to the previous output, I guess the main part of your sources should be
in GIFT quite soon. Without having looked more at your source than before, I
can tell you the questions I see:

1) I did not quite understand the thingy about the "aggregator"?
2) Are you able to write "feature information files"?
3) Given that Image Magick is already a prerequisite for successful GIFT
installation, the current state of your code introduces a new dependency,
right? Probably everyone has it anyway, but I still think it would be best to
move to the use of ImageMagick as file reading library. If you've got the time,
it would be worthwile adding that, and it would be very much in your own
interest, as you would save the convert call that has to be issued for each
image.

David, Julia: sounds reasonable?

Yes, that does sound reasonable to me.

There is a broader point too though. I would like to encourage the idea that the feature extraction part of the GIFT should be in some way pluggable. When adding a collection, the user should be able to specify which feature extraction system he/she wants to use, and there could be multiple ones shipped with the GIFT, or others could be available from third party sites.

I guess that this would mean that (at least) an attribute would have to be added to the collection element in the gift-config.mrml file so that the system could be aware of whether features are comensurate for different collections.

I am fairly sure there was a discussion about this a few years ago, either on this list, or via email - I will have a look for it.

This would make it easier for various GIFT users to share their specializations of the system (e.g. I have a version that uses annotations too, and I know that Henning has done stuff using a greater number of greys, more texture orientations, etc.)

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia