[help-GIFT] Contributing

From: risc
Subject: [help-GIFT] Contributing
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:40:45 -0500

I have recently put a lot of work into the feature extraction system of
GNU gift, locally.

I have modified gift-add-collection.pl to accept .fts files dropped
manually into gifts $home. I have re-written extract_features to take
advantage of automatic vectorization in GCC4.1, thereby using SSE2
instructions to get a real-world speedup of 2X. oh, and i dropped the
custom image file handling routines, and used netpbm.

I'd like to contribute these patches back to mainline, but i'm noting a
certain lack of activity. ;)

i'd like someone to take a look at my gift-add-collection modifications,
before just commiting them, and my work on the feature extractor is basically
a complete fork. EVERYTHING was touched.

both tools have been tested to make sure every result is the same as mainline.

the only difference is now that i've decoupled the two tools, you can run
the extractor on EG a 100 node cluster, then use gift-add-collection.pl to
finalize the result.

oh, and the SSE2 optimized version of the program.. if you compile it without
the right compiler and right compiler options.. takes TWO TIMES the time of
your program. so deciding to use this version is a issue to think about.

i'll arrange a location for downloading, as soon as i get some kind of
response to my mail. ;)

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>