[help-GIFT] Problem with the Charmer applet

From: Helga Velroyen
Subject: [help-GIFT] Problem with the Charmer applet
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:25:12 +0200

Guten morgen!

Since all the postings that I found here (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gift/) were in English I am writing in English, too. I am from Germany, so if it is more convenient to you you may answer in German.

I am working at the RWTH Aachen in Germany, in the research group of Prof. Ney at the chair I6 "Bild- und Sprachverarbeitung" (http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/). I am a student worker of Thomas Deselears (http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~deselaers/), who developed also an image retrieval software. By the way: regards from Thomas to Henning :)

I tried to install and run GIFT, but I have a problem.

First, the things that I did:

- I downloaded and compiled the gift sources
- I indexed a directory containing 1000 pictures
- I downloaded the charmer package from here (http://viper.unige.ch/research/projects/GIFT/Charmer-0.2b.tgz) and unpacked it - I started gift using the default port and I got a lot of debug output and in the end it says:

The current configuration directory is: ######/gift/software/gift2/
Opening port 12789
TCP socket successfully initialized:7
TCP socket successfully initialized:8
Waiting for connection...

So I guess it is waiting for clients.

- then I jumped into the directory where the Charmer stuff resides. I did:

[######:~/gift/software/Charmer-0.2b$] perl write-applet-frame.pl
Writing applet frame file Charmer.html

[######:~/gift/software/Charmer-0.2b$] appletviewer Charmer.html

This is happening:

A grey frame is opening with a menue "Applet" in the upper left corner and "Start: applet not initialized" in the lower left corner. I tried to choose some of the menue entries but nothing happens. If I choose "reload" in the lower left corner it says "Dispose: applet not destroyed"

Besides that I get the following error in the shell:
load: class charmer/client/Charmer not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: charmer.client.Charmer
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:162)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:123)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:566)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:617)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:546)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:298)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: #####/gift/software/Charmer-0.2b/charmer/client/Charmer.class (No such file or directory)
at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:69) at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:156) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:274) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:43)
        at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:152)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:149)
        ... 8 more

it obviously does not find the file /u/velroyen/gift/software/Charmer-0.2b/charmer/client/Charmer.class

when I do:
[#####:~/gift/software/Charmer-0.2b/charmer/client$] ls
#ActiveGraph.java#        Cpoint.java                ProgressThread.java
ActiveGraph.java          #CPropertyWindow.java#     QSort.java
ActiveVector.java         CPropertyWindow.java       QueryObject.java
#BorderedPanel.java#      #DisplayList.java#         QueryWindow.java
BorderedPanel.java        DisplayList.java           SortMethod.java
charmer                   DrawnButton.java           TabbedPanelControl.java
#CharmerAbout.java#       E:\out.mrml                TabbedPanel.java
CharmerAbout.java         GPoint.java                TabHeader.java
CharmerApplication.java   GraphPanel.java            TabLabel.java
CharmerApplication.java~  HistoryWindow.java         TAG.java
Charmer.java              InfoDialog.java            TipListener.java
#ClickListener.java#      MainFrame.java             TipThread.java
ClickListener.java        MProperty.java             TipWindow.java
#ConnectDialog.java#      PersonalChoice.java        VectorListener.java
ConnectDialog.java        PointListener.java
#Cpoint.java#             ProgressThreadDriver.java

and it is right, the file is not there.

Can you give me a hint how I can make it run? I hope I provided enough information about what I did. I also have log files of the configue, make, make install procedure, in case they are relevant. the "#####" stand for my login and homedir which I also do not want to make public.

I did not find a post about the same problem in the archive (I hope I searched long enough), so I hope you can help me.

Schöne Grüße

Helga