Re: [help-GIFT] 0.1.14 is out/0.1.15 needed

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] 0.1.14 is out/0.1.15 needed
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:19:23 +1000

Wolfgang Mueller wrote:

Dear David,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, David Squire wrote:

It appears that there was something of a communication break-down on the changes needed. There are no 64 bit problems with feature extraction that I am aware of, but some header issues that appear to affect different linux distributions differently.

I was very much aware of problems with 0.1.14 today. They call it "segmentation fault". I think it is the header you spoke of. I guess we should be able to sort this out quickly.
Hi all,

I've been doing some testing, and the suspicions above seem to be confirmed. 0.1.14 from the ftp site installs and runs perfectly on my 32 bit Pentium III RedHat 9 system. I tested adding a new collection, and querying the result, as well as querying collections added by other versions. To get it working on my AMD 64 Debian system, I need to fix the malloc.h issue described in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gift/2005-03/msg00001.html. This supports my suspicion that the malloc.h thing is a linux distro or gcc version issue, rather than a 32/64 bit thing.

In short, if you want to get 0.1.14 working while you wait for 0.1.15, I suggest that you add the line

#include <malloc.h>

after

#include <math.h>

at the tops of rgb2hsv_utils.c and quantize.c in the directory FeatureExtraction/, and then recompile and install.

If this doesn't fix the feature extraction problem, please let us know ASAP - that would mean that there is another problem of which I am unaware.

Regards,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire,  Associate Head, Caulfield Campus
Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia