Re: [help-GIFT] how to install GIFT

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] how to install GIFT
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:30:42 +0100

Dear Prasert Martsorn,

> My name is Prasert Martsorn.I am thai student studying in Ustunomiya
> University in Japan.

Thanks for telling us who you are. Pleasure to meet you.

> My research is "The automatically indexing system for still image".My english
> is very poor but I will try my best to search the information from internet.I
> knew that GIFT is the open software and content based image retrieval system,
> from my professor.

This is great to hear.

> I think It's a best way to learn how to create index of image, from proper
> software like GIFT.Unfortunately I am a new coming for Unix and Linux system
> so I don't know how to install this package (GIFT). I have tried a lot to
> search for information how to install it but there is no information.

GIFT installs like any other GNU program. All GNU Programs have an INSTALL file
in the top directory of the distribution. However, GIFT makes use of some perl
packages which have to be installed before installing GIFT. They in turn
install like any other perl package.

0.1.11 is pretty old. Try looking at ftp.gnu.org. I want to put 0.1.14 online
in the beginning of next week. I will also send you the package of perl
prerequisites and have you try that.

Dr. Wolfgang Mueller
LS Medieninformatik
Universitaet Bamberg