Re: [help-GIFT] gift extension howto

From: Henning Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] gift extension howto
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:43:57 +0100

Hi,

Wolfgang worked a little bit on including retrieval by image regions into MRML and this is detailed in one of the papers on MRML.

The features will need to be added in the FeatureExtraction directory in the main gift tree.

In general, gift works on all image formats that are supported by imageMagick. You can simply add the extension svg to the gift-add-collection script to the other formats and it should work for the feature extraction.

I think that you might be better off using the php interface instead of charmer as charmer uses fairly old Java. PHP is lighter to use and there are several packages available. If you are interested, I can send you one of those.

Handling the mrml using image regions will be a bit harder I think as this will include modification on several parts of gift.

I hope this gives you at least a few pointers for a start.

Cheers, Henning

Saiful Bahari Mohd Sabtu wrote:
well i'm thinking of incorporating somekind of a sketch retrieval options to GIFT. whereby user can sketch a query image (a coarse outline) and put other info he thinks is important like color/texture and maybe annotated what he has drawn, since it seems GIFT currently index color and texture features. Another feature like shape would be great.

This way user can 'seed' the query engine with a focused search rather than choose randomly through the query interface first.

Maybe you can provide like a 'hello world" howto to future developers like me on how to incorporate their own extension.

now the only idea i have is provide SVG (scalable vector graphics) canvas on the query interface. But at the server side (GIFT) i'am not sure how to handle the user input.

So my options are ..either

1) at the front-end: do a modified version of charmer and export the sketched drawing to jpeg or formats that can be read by GIFT as a QBE query (like u said on previous email)

or

2) at the server side: do a GIFT extension to handle SVG parsing and handling the data (this requires a kickstart on how to do it from u guys)

thanks. really appreciate your answers.

Saiful