Re: [help-GIFT] Looking for an MRML DTD

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Looking for an MRML DTD
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:38:22 +0200

On Thursday 05 August 2004 17:50, Phil McConchie wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

Bayreuth had lots of problems with their mail server, so your reply has not
arrived here, yet, so I do some cut and paste and answer that.

> Wolfgang,
> Re DTD:
> Oh OK, I have read in the specs about one of the primary objectives being
> extensibility but thought that there might be an XML DTD floating about that
> nailed down the exact element and attribute names for those parts of MRML
> that appear from the specs to be concrete.

I think the most concrete DTD in use is that within the GIFT distro. However,
it blithely ignores things like get-configuration and get-server-properties,
as they are "stubs" added to the DTD for the case where someone wants to do
something more complicated.

> Such as tags for "get-configuration", "get-server-properties" etc.

> Perhaps the chap you mention who has been investigating the practicalities
> of MRML implementations would indeed be someone to start with.  Is he on
> this list?

Even better, still, he is on the list, and he is easily reachable, as he is
head of the Viper group in Geneva.

http://vision.unige.ch/members/Stephane_Marchand-Maillet.html

> I figure that anyone who has done an MRML implementation must have a MRML
> DTD and we might as well move towards some kind of standardisation for at
> least the tags that will be definitely included in any final version.

./dtd/mrml.dtd within the GIFT package.

> I would be very interested in seeing your students' error list.  If you
> could forward my address as you suggest it would be much appreciated.

I will do so.

> Yes, Josh is my project supervisor.  It's not problem asking project related
> questions on this list.

There is a long version to this question, the short one is:
1. what's the focus of your project?
2. Will you look into XML-RPC and SOAP as possible containers of MRML(-like)
messages?

> Incidentally, how many subscribers to this list are
> there?

I dunno. 60-odd.

> I am working on this project fulltime at the moment and hope to have the
> coding more or less finished in 2 weeks.

Oh, this would be fast. Including property sheets?

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS AI 1
Universität Bayreuth