Re: [help-GIFT] Problem unpacking gift-0.1.11

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Problem unpacking gift-0.1.11
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:43:32 +0200

On Friday 23 July 2004 16:11, you wrote:
> When do you plan to put the 0.1.12 version on the ftp server?

Very Soon Now. As far as I remember, the problems reported on untarring 0.1.11
were not critical. For personal reasons I was swamped last week and I am
going to be swamped the next couple of days.

Thanks for reminding me.

> Someone here tried to install the 0.1.11 version and got errors already
> with the tar command.

AFAIK the tar errors were not fundamental.

In fact, Henning, I am not such a great fan of communication by proxy. There
is some information loss on the way from the person to you (which error
message precisely?), and some more loss on the way from you to me. And there
will probably some more loss on the way back. When there is direct
communication, asking follow-up questions and getting replies will be quicker
and easier.

Information loss issues aside, I like to be in mail contact with people who
are using the GIFT and whom I am trying to help, and who help improve the
GIFT in turn.

Could you point the person you are talking about to this mailing list? This
would be very nice.

If the person you are talking about would like to avoid publicity  (e.g.
industrial contact) or would very strongly prefer writing in french, the
person can contact me directly, and as I have read the Netiquette FAQ I won't
disclose the identity.

> I told him to use savannah but I think that the
> latest version on the gnu ftp server is also used very often.

I am currently preparing scripts that upload the identical tarballs to both
locations.

> Cheers, Henning

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS AI 1