Re: [help-GIFT] rewritten php frontend (which 'sucks less' tm.)

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] rewritten php frontend (which 'sucks less' tm.)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:45:57 +0000

Hi,

> Here is my attempt at some code and and interface which imho 'sucks
> less' tm.:
>
> http://gift.monosock.org/
>
> The images come from: http://imagery.monosock.org/ and are not royaltee
> free.

Good work.

> I like to have my images the same height, because the thumbnail page is
> easier on the eyes that way. I adjestd the gift-add-collection.pl script
> round about line 449:
>        if system("convert",
>             "-geometry",
>             "x75",
>             "-unsharp",
>             "1x1.2",
>             $lFullName,
>             $lThumbnailFile);
> You can see that I also put in an 'unsharp mask' step, this makes the
> small images a little more 'crisp'.

This might be an idea, yes.

> The code consists of a partly functional Gift Class, an XML_MRML Class
> which extends the pear XML_Parser_Simple class (which you can get from:
> http://pear.php.net/package/XML_Parser) and an index page.
>
> The Classes do not yet take care of image feeding (by upload or url) and
> of the query-paradigm-list and property-sheet.

Good luck with that.

> Image uploading will be the next step.
>
> Please comment

All in all I find this very cute. My main point of criticism is that in
Konqueror most of the interesting button labels are invisible till rollover.
I would expect "+" to be on the left (your opinion, anyone??) and not on the
right, so I clicked on "-", and as the "-" is visible only on rollover, I
noticed the mistake only when I got a black-only image as "best match" to
something that contained no black at all...

You want me to put up a link to your soft at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gift ?

> Tuurlijk!

Is the translation of this "'tüllich" in German?

Dr. Wolfgang Müller
LS AI 1
Universität Bayreuth