RE: [help-GIFT] Error in indexing: Attributes[1] too long

From: Chapman, Brian J.
Subject: RE: [help-GIFT] Error in indexing: Attributes[1] too long
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:47:32 -0700

Thanks, It appears that this is just some debugging information and not an
actual limit on the string length.

What I am trying to figure out is why I am only getting a few random images
displayed from the Viper php script. The gift server provides random 10 images
as requested, however, the viper script displays anywhere from 0 to 10 images.

I found that some of the paths I am indexing have the "&" character in them. I
know it is bad practice to use the "&" in the path, but this is an existing
file system with users who do not know better.

Some digging into the code showed that spaces are converted into their hex
equivalent in gift-add-collection.pl:

$i=~s[ ][%20]g;

Just adding another line(s):
          $i=~s[\&][%26]g;
          $i=~s[\#][%23]g;

should protect against the "&" (and "#" for URL problems) in the filename from
causing xml parsing problems.

Brian.

Due to the potential that information exchanged by electronic
media can deteriorate, be damaged, lost or modified unintentionally
or otherwise, use of this electronic data by anyone other than
V&A Consulting Engineers, Inc. shall be at the sole risk of such user
and without liability or legal exposure to V&A Consulting Engineers, Inc.
The recipient is responsible for verifying the accuracy of data against
governing hard copy documentation.  Recipient assumes all risks in the
changing or modification of data and revisions or updating of hard copy
documents.