Re: [help-GIFT] Charmer client Security Exception

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Charmer client Security Exception
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:48:54 +0200 (CEST)

> Dear Wolfgang Müller,

Dear Michael, you've got a choice  ;-)
either I am Wolfgang (cool) or Dr. Müller (polite) :-D . I think the
choice is easy, so I am guessing your choice and I am calling you Michael.
But please tell me, if that's OK.

I appreciate your perseverance, missing bit is making it work :-( .

> Then I started the appletviewer with the edited policyfile:
> appletviewer -J-Djava.security.policy=.java.policy

I would have expected a space between -J and -D?
...and maybe a file path to the policy file?? Or should I read the FM better?

> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/
> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/

What's the output of "which java" and "which appletviewer"? The safe way
would be to put the new bit of the path in front of the old bit, i.e.

export PATH=/usr/java/j.andsoon..:$PATH

> I don't understand why there still is a security problem (at lest for
> Charmer) when I explicitly give permission to all files.

It looks to me that somehow JAVA ignores these permissions, so now we're
finding out how to make it honor them.

> Michael Seibold

Thanks a lot!