[help-GIFT] Plugin fix -> CVS

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: [help-GIFT] Plugin fix -> CVS
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:26:04 +0100

Hithere,

I just did a fix to the way GIFT loads plugins. In fact I was lacking a bit of
context regarding Seventeen's mails (sorry), the softlinking and its reasons
was not quite clear to me. So now comes the explanation of what happened, and
why it is good to treat roots and not symptoms...

The GNU autotools recently changed their behaviour in that they do not
automatically add ".so" extensions to library files. In the versions of GIFT
up to now the plugin mechanism was depending on finding filenames finishing
with ".so". Consequence: they do not find plugins any more in new compiles IF
THEY HAVE BEEN BOOTSTRAPPED WITH A RECENT LIBTOOL. Yes, and this is why I did
not find any errors, as I did not have a recent libtool up till two days ago.

The fix is, that the plugin system does not look at suffixes any more. This
should be it for GNU/Linux and works nicely at my place. Please test and
enjoy.

What still needs to be done is using the dynamic linking wrapper of libtool's:
libltdl. I have taken some steps to that end, but I am not yet using libltdl.
Using ltdl should make it possible to use plugins from within cygwin. Someone
who loves scripting and c(++), if you want to tackle this and send me a
patch, I would be glad. The relevant files are listed on the very top of the
change log as I touched them today.