Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT/giFT conflict: your opinion wanted!

From: Henning Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT/giFT conflict: your opinion wanted!
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:06:00 +0200

Hi,

I would prefer to keep the name GIFT for our project as I really like it. As David said, we are always referring to GIFT, the web pages and so on and it would be good to keep all that up and working. It is kind of our brand.

I would prefer to have links on both web pages to the other project, so the two are not being confused. giFT might be more active than GIFT at the moment but I really hope that this will change and GIFT will become more active. I am actively working on GIFT.

When searching at google for gift you might get a lot of bad results but "GNU image finding tool" turns up all the good links instantly.

Cheers, Henning

Wolfgang Müller wrote:

I am really not OK with this. We have a large number of papers published
using the name GIFT, and considerable awareness in the CBIR Community.

Yes, I think this is a very strong point.

Also, if I have read the earlier mails correctly, giFT post-dates GIFT.

I think this is the Mozilla/Firebird problem once over again. People whom I tell I am maintainer of the GIFT tell me that they are not happy with some weakness of giFT.

So the current state of affairs would be rather to put good and clear "don't confuse" links on our pages. The name clash would then be sorted out if giFT actually become GNU internet File Transfer...

More opinions? Steph? Henning? Others?

Cheers and thanks for your useful objection.

Dr. Henning Müller
University Hospitals of Geneva
Division of Medical Informatics
21, rue Micheli-du-Crest